If you’re familiar with cannabis, you’ve probably heard of THC before. But what’s delta 8 THC? And what are the benefits of using delta 8 THC products?
Cannabis plants contain dozens of chemical compounds called cannabinoids. Each cannabinoid is unique in how it affects your body. One of those cannabinoids is called delta-8-tetrahydrocannabinol, also known as delta 8 THC or Δ8THC. Despite that sci-fi-like name, delta 8 is entirely natural and plant-derived.
Once extracted from cannabis plants, delta 8 THC can be used to make different kinds of products. Popular delta 8 THC products include:
Along with CBD products, delta 8 THC products are becoming more and more popular. You can use them for relaxing, socializing, and getting creative. Some people use delta 8 products to reduce pain, soothe anxiety, and improve sleep.
The Legality of Delta 8 THC
Like delta 8 THC, delta 9 tetrahydrocannabinol (THC) is also a cannabinoid that’s found in cannabis plants.
Usually, when people refer to THC, they’re talking about delta 9 THC. This is “regular THC”. All kinds of THC make you feel intoxicated - so these chemicals are responsible for the “high” you feel when you use cannabis.
What's the difference between delta 8 THC and delta 9 THC? Essentially, delta 8 THC is an oxidized version of delta 9 THC, which means that it only forms after delta 8 THC has been exposed to oxygen. So, if you don’t store cannabis properly and it’s exposed to oxygen for a long period of time, the regular THC will convert to delta 8 THC.
Storing cannabis incorrectly isn’t a good idea - it can lead to molds forming and other cannabinoids denaturing. But delta 8 THC can actually be really beneficial. For this reason, companies have started creating high-quality delta 8 THC products so that more people can enjoy the benefits of this cannabinoid.
The effects of delta 8 are slightly different to regular THC: it’s less potent and more calming. It’s said to produce a relaxing, full-body high that feels less intense. So, while you’ll still get high from delta 8, you’ll get a lot less high than you’ll get from using the same amount of regular THC.
What are the benefits of delta 8 THC products?
Delta 8 THC hasn’t been studied enough, partly because of the stigma around cannabis and cannabinoids. However, many people who use delta 8 THC have noticed that it seems to have a range of benefits.
People use delta 8 THC products for:
- Reducing anxiety
- Boosting the mood
- Improving focus and productivity
- Creative energy
- Reducing pain
- Improving sleep
Although the above benefits haven’t been researched extensively, there is some research on delta 8 THC. According to studies, it might have the following benefits:
- Anti-tumor. One study conducted in 2003 concluded that delta 8 THC can slow down the growth of tumors. However, this has only been studied in a lab and not on humans, so we don’t know for sure whether it can help those with cancer.
- Appetite stimulant. An interesting 2004 study found that delta 8 THC can stimulate appetite in mice. Although the munchies might be an inconvenience to some people, appetite stimulants can be helpful if you have a condition like HIV or cancer, which can affect your appetite.
- Improve brain function. This might be why people use delta 8 to be more focused and productive. The above-mentioned 2004 study also found that delta 8 THC improved cognitive function in mice, which suggests it might be able to help with focus, memory, and thinking.
- Anti-pain and anti-inflammation. A promising 2018 study reported that delta 8 THC might be able to treat inflammation and pain. This study specifically looked at a topical treatment infused with delta 8.
While it must be studied further, many people swear by delta 8 products. For example, they might use a delta 8 THC vape as a sleep aid just before bed time, or they might take a gummy if they have a chronic pain flare-up.
Are there any side effects of delta 8 THC?
As with all THC products, there can be some adverse effects. If you find that you’re really sensitive to cannabis and it makes you feel ill or paranoid, it’s probably best to avoid delta 8 THC.
In general, delta 8 THC’s side effects aren’t as intense as regular THC - which is part of the reason why many people prefer delta 8. Regular side effects like dry mouth, red eyes, and the munchies are common. Some people also experience anxiety, paranoia, or extreme sleepiness.
We recommend starting with a small dose of delta 8 and seeing how you react. If you don’t experience any awful symptoms, you can have a little more.
How do I use delta 8 THC gummies?
Gummies are popular ways to consume THC and CBD alike. Because they’re tasty and they have a set dosage, they’re both fun and convenient to use. You could take one before bedtime, to socialize and enjoy yourself, or for pain.
When it comes to using delta 8 THC gummies, you can start with a low dosage and work your way up. If you’re used to using delta 8 or other cannabis products, you might be fine starting with a higher dosage. Take one gummy (or a half a gummy, to be safe). After an hour and a half, reassess - if the effect is too mild for your liking, have a little more.
There are dozens of excellent delta 8 THC gummies out there. Our favorites are:
- Eighty Six 300mg Delta 8 Gummies
- Medusa 500mg Delta 8 Gummies
- Bluumlab Delta 8 Gummies
- No Cap Hemp Delta 8 Gummy Worms
- Mental Extracts 500mg Delta 8 Gummies
- Treetop Hemp Co. 150mg Delta 8 Gummies
- Galaxy Treat Moon Babies Delta 8 Gummies Bucket 100c
If you’re a newbie, you might want to buy a small pack to try it out first, such as Nekter Farms Delta 8 Gummies. Don’t forget to take your dietary preferences (or your friends’ dietary preferences) into account; for example, No Cap Hemp has tasty Delta 8 Vegan Gummies.